© All rights reserved 2011 - 2018
Draycott Derbyshire www.draycottderbyshire.co.uk
Draycott and Church Wilne in 1891

From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts,

Leicester and Rutland pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.237 - 238

WILNE is a parish, comprising the liberties of CHURCH WILNE and DRAYCOTT and the hamlet of HOPWELL, 6½ miles from Nottingham, 23½ from Leicester, 6½ east-south-east from Derby and about 1½ miles south from Draycott station on the Midland railway; it is in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, union of Shardlow, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Chad, situated in Church Wilne, 1 mile east from Draycott, is a building of stone, in the Early English style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, side chapel, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells, dated 1605, 1627 and 1652 : the chancel retains a piscina : and there is a mortuary chapel belonging to the Willoughby family, added in 1650, with three stained Windows, and separated from the rest of the church by a carved oak screen : in the church are monuments to Hugh Willoughby, of Risley, dated 1491, and Isabel, his wife, besides others to the Scott family and to H. Pares esq. of Hopwell (1733): there is a curious and very Early font with carvings symbolizing the triumph of Christianity over Paganism: the church plate includes a small silver-covered chalice ornamented with arabesques and dated 1566-7: there are 350 sittings. The registers date from the year 1540 and are in a good state of preservation. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £52, net yearly value £292, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence. in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Thomas- Browning Mundy M.A. Durham University and surrogate. In this place are extensive cotton factories carried on by Mr. Marcus Astle. Draycott is a liberty and station on the Midland railway. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels here. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor of Draycott. Draycott House, the seat of William Hugh Scott esq. J.P. is a modern brick mansion, situated on an eminence in extensive grounds commanding fine views of the scenery of the surrounding neighbourhood. The area of Draycott and Church Wilne is 1,451 acres ; rateable value, £9,136 ; the population In 1881 of Draycott and Church Wilne was 1,015. Hopwell is a township. Edward Henry Pares esq. J.P. is the sole owner and resides at The Hall, a handsome brick house, seated on a height, with a park of about 90 acres. The area is about 610 acres ; rateable value, £899 ; the population in 1881 was 32. POST. M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office Draycott.-John Wm. Featherstone, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 a.m A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1878 for Draycott; W. Hart, 21 St. James' street, Derby, clerk to the board; Isaiah Beck, 61 Normanton road, Derby, attendance officer Board School, Draycott, erected in 1854, for 330 children ; average attendance, 80 boys, 58 girls, & 60 infants; Arth. Richard Fell, master; Mrs. Ellen Forden, infants' mist Railway Station, John Sandford, station master Church Wilne. Astle Marcus, cotton spinner & doubler, Wilne mills DRAYCOTT... PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Antliff Rev. Samuel D.D. [Primitive Methodist] Antliff Frederick Samuel Bakewell James Baxter Miss, Draycott lodge Beeston William Crossley Clay Edward Hind Walter Henry Johnson Robert William Mundy Rev. Thos. Browning M.A. Vicarage Platts Thomas Scott William Hugh J.P. Draycott house Thys James Francis COMMERCIAL. Allport James, clerk Antliff Fredk. Saml. architect & surveyor Baker Esther (Miss), shopkeeper Barron John, landscape gardener Blood George, farmer Charlton Catherine (Mrs.), druggist Clews Samuel, farmer, Field Cooper Brothers, lace manufacturers Coutts Alexander, baker Cowlishaw John, farmer Cranham Charles, gardener & seedsman Draycott Co-operative Stores (Wiliam Stevenson, sec) Draycott Gas Co. Lim. (Jn. Salmon, man) Draycott Mills Co. Limited, lace manufacturers (Henry William Cooper, sec) Elliott Benjamin, farmer Elliott Herbert, coal dealer Elliott John, boot maker Featherstone John Wm. grocer, Post office Fell Arthur Richard, schoolmaster Gill Joseph, joiner Hanford Josiah, fancy net maker Hollingsworth William, farmer Maltby George Travell, butcher Newbold Benjamin, beer retailer Newbold Joseph, dairyman Plackett Henry, farmer Rains James, farmer, Fields Rowley Emma (Mrs.), Victoria inn Smedley James, shoe maker Smith Alfred, butcher Smith Joseph Botham, farmer Smith James, Rose & Crown P.H Smith Samuel, farmer Stone John, farmer Stubbs John, Draycott hotel Swann Arthur, grocer & draper Swinscoe John, Coach & Horses P.H Travers Joseph, blacksmith Walker Ann (Miss), dress maker Walker William, cab proprietor Youngman Thomas William, builder
© All rights reserved 2011 - 2018
Draycott Derbyshire www.draycottderbyshire.co.uk

From: Kelly's Directory of the

Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester

and Rutland pub. London (May,

1891) - pp.237 - 238

WILNE is a parish, comprising the liberties of CHURCH WILNE and DRAYCOTT and the hamlet of HOPWELL, 6½ miles from Nottingham, 23½ from Leicester, 6½ east- south-east from Derby and about 1½ miles south from Draycott station on the Midland railway; it is in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, union of Shardlow, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Chad, situated in Church Wilne, 1 mile east from Draycott, is a building of stone, in the Early English style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, side chapel, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells, dated 1605, 1627 and 1652 : the chancel retains a piscina : and there is a mortuary chapel belonging to the Willoughby family, added in 1650, with three stained Windows, and separated from the rest of the church by a carved oak screen : in the church are monuments to Hugh Willoughby, of Risley, dated 1491, and Isabel, his wife, besides others to the Scott family and to H. Pares esq. of Hopwell (1733): there is a curious and very Early font with carvings symbolizing the triumph of Christianity over Paganism: the church plate includes a small silver-covered chalice ornamented with arabesques and dated 1566-7: there are 350 sittings. The registers date from the year 1540 and are in a good state of preservation. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £52, net yearly value £292, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence. in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Thomas- Browning Mundy M.A. Durham University and surrogate. In this place are extensive cotton factories carried on by Mr. Marcus Astle. Draycott is a liberty and station on the Midland railway. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels here. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor of Draycott. Draycott House, the seat of William Hugh Scott esq. J.P. is a modern brick mansion, situated on an eminence in extensive grounds commanding fine views of the scenery of the surrounding neighbourhood. The area of Draycott and Church Wilne is 1,451 acres ; rateable value, £9,136 ; the population In 1881 of Draycott and Church Wilne was 1,015. Hopwell is a township. Edward Henry Pares esq. J.P. is the sole owner and resides at The Hall, a handsome brick house, seated on a height, with a park of about 90 acres. The area is about 610 acres ; rateable value, £899 ; the population in 1881 was 32. POST. M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office Draycott.-John Wm. Featherstone, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 a.m A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1878 for Draycott; W. Hart, 21 St. James' street, Derby, clerk to the board; Isaiah Beck, 61 Normanton road, Derby, attendance officer Board School, Draycott, erected in 1854, for 330 children ; average attendance, 80 boys, 58 girls, & 60 infants; Arth. Richard Fell, master; Mrs. Ellen Forden, infants' mist Railway Station, John Sandford, station master Church Wilne. Astle Marcus, cotton spinner & doubler, Wilne mills DRAYCOTT... PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Antliff Rev. Samuel D.D. [Primitive Methodist] Antliff Frederick Samuel Bakewell James Baxter Miss, Draycott lodge Beeston William Crossley Clay Edward Hind Walter Henry Johnson Robert William Mundy Rev. Thos. Browning M.A. Vicarage Platts Thomas Scott William Hugh J.P. Draycott house Thys James Francis COMMERCIAL. Allport James, clerk Antliff Fredk. Saml. architect & surveyor Baker Esther (Miss), shopkeeper Barron John, landscape gardener Blood George, farmer Charlton Catherine (Mrs.), druggist Clews Samuel, farmer, Field Cooper Brothers, lace manufacturers Coutts Alexander, baker Cowlishaw John, farmer Cranham Charles, gardener & seedsman Draycott Co-operative Stores (Wiliam Stevenson, sec) Draycott Gas Co. Lim. (Jn. Salmon, man) Draycott Mills Co. Limited, lace manufacturers (Henry William Cooper, sec) Elliott Benjamin, farmer Elliott Herbert, coal dealer Elliott John, boot maker Featherstone John Wm. grocer, Post office Fell Arthur Richard, schoolmaster Gill Joseph, joiner Hanford Josiah, fancy net maker Hollingsworth William, farmer Maltby George Travell, butcher Newbold Benjamin, beer retailer Newbold Joseph, dairyman Plackett Henry, farmer Rains James, farmer, Fields Rowley Emma (Mrs.), Victoria inn Smedley James, shoe maker Smith Alfred, butcher Smith Joseph Botham, farmer Smith James, Rose & Crown P.H Smith Samuel, farmer Stone John, farmer Stubbs John, Draycott hotel Swann Arthur, grocer & draper Swinscoe John, Coach & Horses P.H Travers Joseph, blacksmith Walker Ann (Miss), dress maker Walker William, cab proprietor Youngman Thomas William, builder
Draycott and Church Wilne in 1891